We had an interesting conversation as a staff about waxing and wanted to share with you our experience, our knowledge, and why we hope you come to visit us at Healing Waters Spa for your next waxing service.
Immediately, we want to address that hair removal is a personal choice. We understand the many pressures that exist in society about what we should look like and how we should feel about our bodies. We offer a comprehensive waxing service menu to support you in doing whatever feels good to you in regards to being in, and experiencing your body. Embarrassment over our bodies, or our body hair, is not uncommon. At Healing Waters Spa, we want you to feel safe and encouraged to appreciate your body both during and after your services.
Whether you’re looking for a perfectly sculpted brow, beautifully bare bikini line, or a hairless chest or back, we’d love to have you as our client!
What to expect when you come for a waxing appointment?
You may feel “under the microscope” when you come for a waxing appointment, and that’s because our practitioners literally use a magnifying lamp to support them with accurately assessing your skin type, hair follicle size, and directional growth of your hair! These three things are unique to you, and matter very much when it comes to hair removal. Observing these things will determine the type of wax that is used in your appointment (strip or stripless), and the direction we need to pull in order to achieve the safest, and best results.
Things to note: we offer individual wipes and towels for our intimate waxing appointments. We may use other tools such as tweezers, extractors, powder, witch hazel, and other astringents during your waxing treatment.
Isn’t waxing painful?
Yes. It is true that waxing may be more painful than other methods of hair removal such as shaving and lotions (like Nair), but we’re here to share information that may support you in understanding the pain that may be experienced during your treatment.
- Stress – Let’s be honest, waxing certain intimate areas such as brazilian and bikini line waxing require you to be in a position of vulnerability with your practitioner. Please know that we see all shapes, sizes, colours, and forms. Our favorite saying at the Spa is “a body, is a body, is a body” Plus sized, mid sized, and mini’s are all bodies. Take a breath, and know we’re happy to have you – exactly as you are.
- Hair type – A coarser hair type may experience more pain during a waxing service as the hair follicle is larger and may experience more sensitivity during the removal procedure
- Hair length – We recommend 4-6 weeks as a schedule to stick with between appointments so we can catch you in the sweet spot of hair regrowth. Too short, there may be difficulty in removing the hair, too long and there may be more pain associated with removal.
- Nerve Superficiality – Regions such as the underarms, upper lip, pubic bone, labia, knees, shins, and ankles may all be more sensitive areas to receive waxing treatments as the nerves of the body pass closer to the skin in these areas
- Menstruation – If you are a person who menstruates, you may be more sensitive to pain prior to and during your period. You are absolutely able to get waxed while menstruating. Sources https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22634142/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12705527/
So if waxing could be painful and the results are temporary, why would I do it?
There are so many benefits to waxing as a method of hair removal and a list of them can literally be found on flashy beauty blogs across the internet but here are our real life reasons for why we enjoy waxing services and why we think you’ll enjoy them too.
- No razor burn or itching. If you shave, you know the irritation it can cause. Irritation doesn’t make for a comfortable time while exercising, working, or during sexual intercourse. Waxing literally trades uncomfortable for uncomfortable, but why not be uncomfortable with us for a while!
- Hair grows back slower and finer. You may be someone who needs to shave weekly or bi-weekly to keep on top of your hair growth. With waxing, your hair growth will slow down and become finer with ongoing appointments. It’s also nice to not worry about the mental load of “did I shave, tweeze, or pluck” before picking out an outfit, going on a date, or just while you get ready each morning.
- Ingrown hairs are less frequent. Ingrown hairs are less frequent with waxing as the service itself is a light exfoliation treatment. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your body so that when emerging hair re-emerges it has less skin trapping it beneath the surface.
- Accessibility. Certain medical and physical conditions may make your own access to hair removal difficult. We are here to support you with enjoying your body at any stage of life regardless of condition, illness, or injury.* (Please note: certain illnesses or medications may make hair removal by waxing a contraindication. Please ask to speak with our waxing practitioners prior to scheduling an appointment if you have any serious medical conditions)
With all our services, we offer recommendations of after care to support in tending to your own wellness! With waxing services, we recommend the following after care:
- No excessive sweating: Exercise, hot baths or showers, steams, saunas, or sexual intercourse should be avoided for 24 hours
- Exfoliation: Dry brushing, exfoliating mitts, or physical exfoliants are to be avoided for 24 hours after waxing but done every 2-3 days between your next appointment to reduce the chance of an ingrown hair
- Hydration: systemic hydration (drinking water) and moisturizing is going to keep the hair follicles supple and soft increasing the comfort of your next waxing appointment
Why Healing Waters Spa?
Lasers, Razors, Lotion, Sugar, and Wax. When it comes to hair removal, you have a variety of methods and locations you could visit. If you’re comfortable with at home hair removal kits or razors, we say keep it up! If you’re looking for professional services, we’d love to have you as our client. We use professional product lines that are formulated with high-quality ingredients. Our practitioners are experienced in hair removal services, and use safe and effective techniques at our Edmonton waxing location.
Be well. See you soon,
Emily & The Healing Waters Team